Life at FDM
Life at FDM
If you’re in the forces and considering a second career, FDM is the next step to bridge that gap. We recognise that people who have served in the Armed Forces have many transferable skills, ranging from adaptability and maturity through to responsibility and leadership, that are crucial to a successful career in the corporate world.
We are committed to supporting ex-forces personnel and providing a soft landing into the corporate world. Our programme has been awarded the gold medal by the MoD’s Employer Recognition Scheme, one of only 33 employers in 2017 to have received this honour.
The FDM Ex-Forces Programme is run by ex-service personnel and employs ex-servicemen and women from all ranks and across all three services.
How It Works
Bridging the gap between leaving the forces and the commercial world
- Apply to the FDM Ex-Forces Programme.
- Train in IT and business specialties on either the traditional or advanced route in one of our award-winning academies.
- Work onsite with prestigious industry-leading clients, gaining hands-on commercial experience.
- Excel as you set yourself on a rewarding civilian career path – the sky’s the limit!
We equip you with:
- Support and professional development from the dedicated FDM ex-forces network.
- Commercially relevant training.
- A job for a minimum of two years as an IT or business consultant.
- Industry skills development.
- Ongoing support through our award-winning programme dedicated to ex-forces.
- Traditional Route – Junior Ex-Forces Personnel
The traditional training pathways range from seven to 14 weeks depending on the chosen stream. It is designed for junior ranks and JNCOs.
- Advanced Route – Experienced Ex-Forces Personnel
Our advanced pathway is designed for those with broad experience in managing projects and will build upon your transferable leadership and communication skills within a commercial environment. Our advanced six-week Project Management course will prepare you for senior roles as project, programme and delivery managers, working within high-profile organisations as an FDM consultant.
Criteria & Process
Criteria & Opportunities
Traditional Pathway – Junior Ex-Forces Personnel
The traditional pathway works on complementing your life skills with industry-recognised certifications.
We are looking for:
- Demonstrable interest in IT with a drive to build a successful career.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving.
- Proven ability in working under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Geographic flexibility throughout the UK to support our clients.
Advanced Pathway – Experienced Ex-Forces Personnel
The advanced pathway works on building upon existing skills with industry recognised certifications.
We are looking for:
- Leadership and management experience.
- Experience working within a project environment.
- Strong organisational and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- An analytical mind set and problem solving skills.
- Technical competence in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project or equivalent software packages.
Our monthly ex-forces insight days in London, Leeds and Glasgow are a great opportunity to find out what the Ex-Forces Programme has to offer as well as network with the senior management team.
Find out when we’re next hosting our insight days or when we’ll be at an event near you:
|Date||Event Title||Event Location|
|Tuesday, July 3, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, July 18, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
|Tuesday, August 7, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, August 15, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
|Tuesday, September 4, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, September 19, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
|Tuesday, October 2, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, October 17, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
|Tuesday, November 6, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, November 21, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
|Tuesday, December 4, 2018||Insight Event||London||Register|
|Wednesday, December 13, 2018||Insight Event||Glasgow||Register|
Alistair Thompson, Project Support Officer placed at Barclays, former Royal Artiller
Cowan Botha, IT Project Manager placed at the Home Office, former Lance Corporal, Royal Dragon Guards
Luke Allen, Business Analyst placed at Virgin Media, former Royal Marine