Are you looking for some sure-fire tips for a successful interview or assessment day? We receive tens of thousands of applications every year, so we happen to know a thing or two about interviews. Our advice will help you conquer any interview anxiety and boost your confidence. By the time you're done, you'll be ready to apply to the FDM Graduate Programme and ace the FDM interview.
Our three golden rules to prepare for the FDM interview
Before we delve into the nitty gritty of the FDM interview, there are a few things you must remember when preparing for a virtual interview or an assessment day to ensure you start off on the right foot.
- Be positive and energetic - look like you really want the job.
- Research the company and the role. The more research you do, the more confident you will be.
- Always be on time. If possible, why not do a trial run of the journey prior to the interview so you know your route? Or make sure to leave plenty of time for transport delays- better to be early than late!
What to expect during the FDM interview process
The FDM interview will contain a mixture of competency and strength-based questions, designed to get to know you better. Interviewers will ask you a range of questions, relating to your background, achievements, hobbies and passion for technology.
Our interviewers use these questions to find out more about your strengths and how you have applied certain skills in different scenarios. These are usually examples from work or university, but if you have any other examples such as from volunteering or extra-curricular activities then that’s also worth discussing.
How to answer the FDM interview questions
At the interview stage, you have the opportunity to show us who you are so it is important you present yourself as a well-rounded candidate. Ensure that you sit up straight, maintain eye contact and act confidently and professionally. Here's some advice to help you answer the FDM interview questions:
- Make a list of all your strengths and decide which skills would be valuable for the role. See our blog on strength-based interviews for some helpful tips
- Highlight your best attributes. Think about what you want the interviewers to know about you and respond accordingly
- Practice anything you are concerned about. You could practice your answers aloud with your friends and family, or in front of a mirror
- We recommend you use examples of when you have demonstrated a particular skill or characteristic when answering questions – just saying you have a certain skill will not be enough
- Elaborate on all answers and explain points. Do not wait to be probed as interviewers will want to see that you are proactive and confident
- Practice the STAR interview response method (situation, task, action and result) which will help you structure your answers. Provide an example situation where you had a task to complete, talk about the actions you took and how this affected the final outcome
FDM Interview Question examples
There are various questions we ask candidates during the interview stage. Here are some examples example questions to give you an idea of what to expect:
- Why do you want to work with FDM?
- What interests you about the role you are applying for?
- Describe a situation where you have worked as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- Tell me about a difficult obstacle you had to overcome recently at work or university, and how you overcame it.
- Describe an achievement or performance that you are proud of and tell us why.
- How do you adapt to new situations?
- Tell me about your favourite hobbies.
- Tell me why you are passionate about a career in technology.
- What is your approach to work when reaching a deadline?
- What does a successful day look like for you?
For more advice, check out this incredible TED talk on the importance of body language to help you prepare for your interview beyond simply answering the questions. Or read more interview and careers advice tips on our blog:
- How to Ace Your Job Interview
- How to Prepare for a Phone Interview
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Become a Software Tester